04.08.2015 - Holy Hemp Hummus
Hummus is a snack time favourite and also a party favourite. Serve this awesome savoury recipe alongside our Hemp Apple Spread at a party and hemp will be a hit. You can`t go wrong with hummus as it is one of the most versatile additions to any meal. The nutty flavour and creamy texture of hemp seeds adds the perfect drama to this loved dish.
2 cups drained chickpeas, plus 1/4 cup of liquid in reserve
3 tablespoons Hemp Seeds
● 1/4 cup tahini
● 1/4 cup lemon juice
● 3 tablespoons hemp seed oil or hemp seed oil
● 4 cloves garlic
● 1/4 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste (skip the salt if using salted hemp seeds)
1. Place all ingredients into processor.
2. Add liquid reserve and/or oil to adjust texture.
3. Salt to taste once blended.
4. Sprinkle with hemp seeds to serve.
For extra fibre you can add hemp flour or natural protein powder to thicken the mixture. Just make sure your protein is unsweetened.
Try serving this in a burger with our recipe for Hemp, Carrot & Chickpea Patties.
01.08.2015 - Vegan Hemp Milk
Hemp milk is an amazing vegan non-dairy alternative for milk. Use for smoothies, cereal, or anywhere you might use milk. The flavour of this hemp milk is refreshing and creamy. Chill it for icy flavoured beverages and smoothies or steam it into espresso for a dramatically creamy latte.
● Ingredients 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds
● 4 cups filtered water
● To sweeten add 2-3 tablespoons of honey or 2 medjool dates (optional)
1. Put hemp hearts into a container.
2. Cover the seeds with a portion of the filtered water (roughly 1/2 cup) and add honey.
3. Cover container and refrigerate (min 4 hours but overnight is best).
4. After mixture has completed soaking, empty container into a blender.
5. Turn blender on low and gradually increase speed until on highest setting and leave on for 20 seconds. The texture should be like a thin spread, smooth and free of whole seeds.
6. With the blender running, through the opening of the lid, gradually pour the remaining measured filtered water until the volume is blended entirely.
7. Use immediately or refrigerate.
For the finest texture, you can strain the milk if you wish and crush any larger sediment with a mortar and then add it back in the milk and blend again.
Sweeten with 100% pure maple syrup instead of honey for a delicate maple flavour.
Add cinnamon for a sweet and spicy taste.
Pear Hemp Smoothie
This smoothie is more then 40% protein and is very high in omega fatty acids. It`s delicate sweet flavour from the ripe pears are a match made in heaven with the coconut water and hemp seeds. This smoothie also makes an awesome summer blended cocktail, just add your favourite rum or spirit.
● 1 cup coconut water
● 1/2 cup Hemp Seeds
● 1 teaspoon honey
● 2 ripe pears peeled and cored
● 1 teasspoon fresh ginger (optional)
1. Place hulled hemp seeds in a small bowl.
2. Place pears, honey, ginger (optional) and hemp mixture in a blender and blend until smooth for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Pour serve, and enjoy.
For a creamier texture, instead of coconut water, bring 1 cup filtered water to a boil and pour over hulled hemp seeds to soften. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes or until cold. Then blend together with remaining ingredients.
Add ginger for extra bite.